Are you dealing with aches and pains in the aftermath of an automobile accident? What may appear to be a minor injury could lead to years of chronic pain without the proper treatment. It can be beneficial to seek chiropractic care after a car accident, particularly if you’ve suffered an impact that has affected your back or neck.
Serious car crashes can result in a host of injuries, from broken bones, cuts, and lacerations to hemorrhaging and internal organ damage. However, just because an injury doesn’t require a trip to the emergency room doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take it seriously.
When an auto accident affects the joints and muscles surrounding your core, the results can still be painful and can also lead to complications down the road, especially when left untreated.
- Pinched nerves: When your body faces a strong, sudden impact, the force can compress and damage nerves, including those located along the spine. This can cause pain, tingling, numbness, and muscle spasms.
- Herniated or slipped discs: These can occur anywhere, although they’re more common in the lower back. A herniated disc can cause arm and leg pain, along with muscle weakness and “pins and needles” sensations.
- Facet joint injuries: If the joints between the vertebrae become injured or damaged, the result can be very painful. Over time, these can lead to an arthritic condition known as facet arthropathy.
- Whiplash: One of the most common and well-known auto accident injuries is whiplash, which is caused by a sudden, jerking motion that “whips” the head back and forth, resulting in pain and injury to the neck and surrounding areas.
- Soft tissue damage: Sprains, strains, pulled muscles, tendonitis, and more can all happen due to a car crash. It can be difficult to self-treat these issues when they occur around the neck, and back.
What Are the Benefits of Car Accident Chiropractic Care?
As with other pain-related issues, chiropractic treatment has a host of advantages for those with car accident injuries.
Relieve Pain and Tension
Prompt evaluation can help a chiropractor pinpoint the exact cause of discomfort for a more successful treatment plan. Regular treatments can help reduce pain and promote proper healing for a better quality of life.
Promote Better Health
Chiropractic care can involve lifestyle changes to decrease discomfort and inflammation and encourage better alignment.
These changes may include:
- Nutritional improvements
- Physical therapy or exercise plans
- Changes in posture habits or sleeping positions
- Supplemental treatment methods
While this type of treatment plan can help you recover from your auto accident injuries, it can also lead to better health overall.
Provide Safe Pain Management Options
The pain caused by a traumatic accident can be crippling for many. Turning to pain medication may be necessary for some situations. Still, many prescriptions and over-the-counter pain meds can be harmful when taken in high doses or for an extended period. Chiropractic treatment is 100% drug-free, which can make it a safe alternative to medication.
When Should You Book an Appointment With a Car Accident Chiropractor?
In general, it’s best to visit a chiropractor within 72 hours of the accident. This allows them to perform diagnostic procedures and conduct a thorough evaluation. It may be good to seek chiropractic care if you experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- Back, neck, or any pain associated with and radiating from the spine.
- A tingling or burning sensation in the neck or back
- Tension or stiffness in the neck or back
- Trouble sleeping due to neck or back pain
These issues can all be symptoms of whiplash, soft tissue damage, or spinal cord issues. Remember that many symptoms may not appear right away, so be watchful for signs of injury several days after the accident. If you have any concerns, be sure to contact a medical professional promptly. Waiting too long to treat some injuries and conditions could make matters worse.
If you’re experiencing pain or discomfort after a car accident, contact us today. At Chiropractic Approach and Bedford Flatbush Chiropractic, we specialize in helping patients who’ve experienced a variety of painful injuries that are impacting their lives. We can help set you on the right path towards a healthy recovery with less pain.